Saturday, July 28, 2007

At the Barbershop

I was once at a barbershop getting a haircut. I was sitting on the barber's seat, and the barber is cutting and combing my hair.

I was thinking of something, when I noticed that he -the barber- had stopped. I noticed his pause because what he was doing was rhythmic.

Now, he's standing to my right, doing nothing, but who cares man, I thought to myself then I heard him say something like "flip a coin."

I looked up and smiled at him, but that smile was a fatal mistake, that's because I looked nice to a person of a society to which being nice is still perceived by both genders as a sign of weakness.

I thought: Those barbers here, at this barbershop, are lazy and their life is quite peaceful, hmm... maybe I should become a barber. Then another barber, who was setting on a chair behind us, said to my barber: "Do you think he's thinking of your question! He didn't hear you!" and he looked at me. Now wait a minute, those guys are talking about me?! Oh Dear Lord of Abraham and Moses!

My barber looked at me and informally said: "what did you decide on?"
"Pardon me?!"
"What do you prefer to apply on your hair? Cream or gel?"
I replied: "oh yes sure! Gel err... I mean cream. Pardon me I didn't hear you!"
"I thought you were waiting for some divine revelation to come down upon you", said the barber sarcastically.

I laughed at me and him, then I tried to return back to my thoughts, and I thought to myself: either those guys need to get training in customer care or I need to get training in salesperson care. Heh!

One should be careful not to lose one's chain of thoughts when getting pensive in pseudo-tranquil places.

4 comments:

Sam... said...

Wow... that was a very dangerous and risky decision to make...Gel or Cream..??!!

try going to a barber who does not speak proper English (neither Arabic).. and try to get him to do what you want....that is the risky one....

it has been a while man... welcome back...

Omar the Royal Blue said...

Hello Sam! Welcome to the Labs :)

I wasn't successful at all in explaining my ideas in this post.

Please say "advance" to my beloved "Australia fair."

With my best wishes,

Anonymous said...

ciao carissimo!!
E' da un po' di tempo che non visito il tuo blog.. a dir poco รจ fantastico!!

You know, when I came last year into Syria, I had the impression that it's not so good for a man to smile -in certain cases-.. Here in Italy I can smile as much as I want!!
It's a sign of being cordial.

A big SMILE to you dear freind.

P.S. This summer I'm not able to pay you a visit. I have to both study and work!!

semplicita1

Omar the Royal Blue said...

semplicita1:
Welcome back :)

I'm not sure, but some anthropologists suggest that this is going to change after few thousands of years and smiling will be perceived as positive sign that provokes respect in evolved humans.

Wherever you go, be aware of demographics ;)